Bangladesh Chhatra League
Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) is the largest, oldest and drastic student political party in Bangladesh. It is the student wing of the Bangladesh Awami League. Its motto is "Education | Peace | Prosperity" and its slogan is "Joy Bangla - Joy Bangabandhu". Bodiuzzaman Shohag and Siddique Nazmul Alam are the president and General Secretary of the present Committee of 'Bangladesh Chhatra League'. The rival student organization that is the Bangladesh jatiyatbadi Chatradal has a committee having irregular students (the president is about to be 50 years)
When British India was partitioned and the independent dominions of India and Pakistan were created in 1947, the region of Bengal was divided along religious lines. The predominantly Muslim eastern half was designated East Pakistan—and made part of the newly independent Pakistan—while the predominantly Hindu western part became the Indian state of West Bengal. Pakistan's history from 1947 to 1971 was marked by political instability and economic difficulties. Dominion status was rejected in 1956 in favor of an "Islamic republic within the Commonwealth." Attempts at civilian political rule failed, and the government imposed martial law between 1958 and 1962, and again between 1969 and 1971.
Almost from the advent of independent Pakistan in 1947, frictions developed between East and West Pakistan, which were separated by more than 1,000 miles of Indian territory. East Pakistanis felt exploited by the West Pakistan-dominated central government. Linguistic, cultural, and ethnic differences also contributed to the estrangement of East from West Pakistan. Bengalis strongly resisted attempts to impose Urdu as the sole official language of Pakistan. Responding to these grievances, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on January 4, 1948 formed a students' organization called the Chhatra League.
BCL, known as the East Pakistan Student League,formed in 4 January 1948. Mr. Naimuddin Ahmed became its first convener. When Chatra League was formally organized at that time Mr. Dabirul Islam became its President and Mr. Khaleque Nawaz Khan became General Secretary. Chatra league played heroic role in language movement, in 1962 education commission movement, 1966 six point movement, 1969 egaro dofa (11 point movement) andolon. The founder General secretary of the then East Pakistan chatra league Mr. Khaleque Nawaz Khan created a history by defeating incumbent Prime Minister of the then East Pakistan Mr. Nurul Amin in Jukto Front election in 1954 in Nandail constituency of Mymensingh. It is also mentionable Mr. Nurul Amin was also the last Prime Minister of all Pakistan in 1971 from December 7-December 20, 1971. Since the inception of the organisation, it has contributed a great deal to the 1969 Mass Upsurge, the 1971 Liberation War, the 1990 Anti-Autocracy Movement and other movements of the country. They formed "Mujib Bahinee", separate from Freedom Fighters, under the direct supervision and guide of RAW but before their taking part in liberation war, the war terminated.
Five noted educationists of the country have urged Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to sever all direct and indirect links between the Awami League and Bangladesh Chhatra League to maintain a congenial atmosphere at all educational institutions.Besides, Fifteen teachers of Rajshahi University expressed deep concern over the "criminal activities" of Bangladesh Chhatra League at the educational institutions and urged the government to take immediate steps in this regard. Nayeem Nizam, ex Chattra League activist and ex journalist of ATN Bangla now the chief reporter of Bangladesh Pratidin, demanded to the Govrernment for declaring chattra league as out law for three months in Daily Bangladesh Pratidin 5 May issue.But in the next day issue of Bangladesh Pratidin the ex Senior Gov't Official and ex-Chattra League Leader now the Editor of Weekly 'Sotta Katha' Ubaidul Muktadir Chowdhury react on the issue and advised not to stop chattra league but to control pollice officials linked with terror activists of Chattra League.
AL Minister Patrones BCL for terror actionSome of Awami MP's are patronising Chatta League. AL acting general secretary Mahbubul Alam Hanif also admitted that the allegation of patronisation by AL lawmakers is "partially" true. "They have also been asked not to consider recommendations of any minister, state minister, lawmaker and party leader in favour of Chhatra League wrongdoers," he said. But, many of senior AL leaders and ministers of the Government are directly insisting BCL activists. Jute Minister Abdul Latif Siddique, on 11 July, called upon BCL not to fight among their factions but to beat opposition, in a public gathering. According to media the nation found that, behind the BCL Infighting due to minister's advice indeed and more provocative and irresponsible. The jute ministers comments burst the nation and draw sharp reaction.
Action of BCLDuring general strike called in Bangladesh on June 27, 2010, members of the students and youth front of the ruling Bangladesh Awami League were openly seen on various roads with iron bars, field-hockey sticks and other weapons. They were mercilessly assaulting the opposition activists and leaders, while members of law enforcing agencies were seen giving protection and instigation to such unruly thuggish activists of the party in power. On 5 July two factions BCL clash in Jahangirnagar University left 33 people, including a top university administrator, injured. Chhatra League men locked in the clash over taking control of a dormitory and a piece of land near the campus. After comments of Jute Minister Abdul Latif Siddique BCL man killed by rivals at SYlhet on 12 July 2010. But, Chhatra League general secretary Mahfuzul Haider Chowdhury Roton declined comments on the minister’s remarks, ‘Being a man of ordinary position, I think I should not make comments on what a minister has said’ , published on The New Age on 12 July.
Why Chattra League Doing This?It is a common question from all quarters of the nation about chattra league, why they are doing this? Why they are violent to the people? Why AL leaders including the premier of the nation could not control the terrorism of chattra league in most of the educational institute across the country? The question arose largely when the media of Bangladesh publishing or broadcasting headline news about chattra league for several months one after another which incident happened throughout the country. The most recent news was about the clash at Rajshahi University and beating a Civil Surgeon of Laxmipur. The news was headlined as BCL at it again: 10 injured in factional clash at RU and লক্ষ্মীপুরে সিভিল সার্জনসহ তিনজনকে ছাত্রলীগের মারধর!. Local Awami League leaders and Police officials said that, Extortion, control of halls lead to frequent clashes between Bangladesh Chhatra League factions at Rajshahi University since January this year. This incident creates serious sparks both in general people, students and AL activists. At last BCL suspends activities of its RU unit after more than 25 clashes from February 2010. Following the clash, the rival factions filed two separate cases against each other, in which at least 32 activists of both groups were charged. Police arrested BCL Secretary of RU and finding its president to detain in the custody. After the clash an seriously injured BCL activist Nasrullah Nasim had died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital. He was thrown from third floor of the RU hall by factional BCL group and has seriously injured in head, belly and spinal cord. Thus BCL become the top terror organisation in Bangladesh. The Media reported this as রাজশাহী বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়: আতঙ্কের নাম ছাত্রলীগ.
Slogan of Chattra LeagueThey often use 'Joy Bangla' (may Bangladesh win forever) to conduct any atrocities executed by them. On 26th April two factions of Dhaka University Chattra League clashes and cut their vain, legs, hands by huge Chapati, Ramdaa, Bothi, Da, Shabol etc., lathel arms and home-made bombs and sharp weapons by chanting the slogan 'Joy Bangla'. In this violence 70 students were injured including 3 are serious. Earlier in any campus in fighting with own faction or other student parties or in daccoitee, grabbing or beaten to police or teacher or guardian orstudent or any other terror works they chants this slogan. Besides they use 'Catch one by one and eat them at dawn or dusk'. The Vice Chancellor Professor A M S A Arefin said 'We are feared by seeing how a student can cut another students (legs, hands) in this ferocious way in this university'? The eminent educationist warns but BCL activists are doing their jobs shameless. On Saturday 30th April 2011 the two factions of BCL of Chittagong University fight against each. They beat, they cut the vein with knife, rod and other lethal arms. The disciplinary committee of CU expelled 7 terrorists of BCL for clash on CU. Earlier, two month ago BCL men ransack CU provost room.
Prime Minister on stern actionAs per organogam of BCL the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Was the Organizing Leader of BCL. But, last year she rejected to bear the responsibility of Chattra League and angrylly thrown the honorery post. Besides, demand raising to control chattra league the Prime Ministers office took attempt against violent BCL. On 30 April 2010 she ordered home ministry to take necessary action against tender violence, women harassment and other inhuman activities of BCL all over the country. Besides this renowned Awami League leaders are commeing to handle the total issues of chattra league. Earlier she asked BCL leaders to Maintain discipline in organisational activities. The Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had refused to receive BCL leader's flower vases in a reception programme in Dhaka. The reception was arranged for 3rd anniversary of incoming day of Sheikh Hasina from abroad during the last military backed caretaker government. The BCL leaders then put the flower vases on the table and was harassed by the security guards of the Premier. By this way the PM warns Chattra League, but, Warnings not working. Some leaders of the ruling Awami League observed that the unruly activists of Bangladesh Chhatra League can be reined in only if Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina plays a more serious role. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Meet With Grassroots AL for reviewing the performance of MPs and BCL is the top agenda. After Clash between two factions of BCL and Police at Islamic University at Kushtia the PM Citing an example, said, police had arrested some Bangladesh Chhatra League activists—who, according to her, are Chhatra Dal and Shibir men infiltrating BCL—on charges of creating anarchy at Islamic University. But they were released on bail within a month or two and again found engaged in creating unrest at the university yesterday. “The judiciary is independent. Now where shall go for a remedy?” said a frustrated Hasina. She said she talked to the vice-chancellor of the university over the phone yesterday and he also expressed frustration over the miscreants' release on bail. Hasina said she is collecting a list of troublemakers from all educational institutions and stern actions would be taken against them. She said intruders into BCL too would be on the list
PM again warns BCLThe premier of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina warns BCL about their violence, clash between factions in educational institutions and terrorism for tender business, admission business, arms business etc. She was deliberating her speech on 31 August at Bangabandhu International Conference Hall for the memorial program of 15 August, deathly day of PM's family, organised by Chattra League. "We are collecting information and preparing a list of Chhatra Shibir and Chhatra Dal activists who infiltrated into BCL and are committing violence in public universities and colleges," said Sheikh Hasina. Furthermore she warns BCL activities at BCL central council on 10 July 2011 at Bangabandhu International Conference Hall.
Punishment Against Chattra LeagueThough many of Awami Lawmakers and police backed the recent activities of BCL some punishment has been awarded to the culprits of BCL from educational institute and BCL central committee. Among those punishment some are : জাহাঙ্গীরনগর বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়: সভাপতি-সম্পাদকসহ ছাত্রলীগের ২২ নেতা-কর্মীকে বিভিন্ন মেয়াদে বহিষ্কার, রাজশাহী বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় ছাত্রলীগ: সভাপতি ও সম্পাদক চিরতরে বহিষ্কার, BCL infighting at JU leaves 33 hurt, VC assaulted, BCL suspends JU unit, expels 13, university suspends 17 students, Female BCL student leader expelled from college for sex scandal etc. But, Dr. H B M Iqbal, ex BAL MP and Nurunnabi Shaown, MP who is also accused for killing his friend Ibrahim at MP hostel has been acquitted from 4 murder case of Malibagh on 2001. This is motivated by political agenda which begins a new debate as Political label keeps justice at bay.
BCL About Their
- 04-January : Chatra League's Birth Day
- 10-January : Bangabandhu'r Swadesh Pratyaborton Dibosh
- 24-January : Gono Ovvhurthan Dibosh
- 14-february : Soirachar Birodi Chatra Ovvhurthan Dibosh
- 21-February : International Mother Language Day
- 02-March : Potaka Uttolon Dibosh
- 07-March : The Independence Speech Of Bangabandhu
- 26-March :Independence Day Of Bangladesh
- 15-August : Jatio Shok Dibosh
- 17-September : Jatio Shikhkha Dibosh
- 03-November : Jail Hatya Dibosh
- 10-November : Shahid Noor Hossain Dibosh
- 27-November : Shahid Dr. Milon Dibosh
- 04-December : Soirachar Bidodi Gono Ovvhurthan Dibosh
- 14-December : Shaheed Buddijibi Dibosh
- 16-December : Jatio Bijoy Dibosh
- Bangladesh Awami League
- The nation, or Chhatra League...? - Rehnuma Ahmed, The Daily New Age 12 APril 2010.
- Chhatra League’s sexual offences: - Rehnuma Ahmed, The Daily New Age 5 APril 2010.
- Know About Chattra League -The Daily Star Archieve.
- BCL Gone Crazy: Hasina warns, MPs ignore - The Daily Star 7 May 2010.
- BANGLADESH: Newsmen attacked in two districts - AsiaMedia - Thursday, July 30, 2009.
- বেপরোয়া ছাত্রলীগেক থামাবে কে ? - Bangladesh Pratidin 5 May 2010.
- ছাত্রলীগের প্রতিপক্ষ ছাত্রলীগ - Bangladesh Pratidin 5 May 2010.
- ছাত্রলীগকে তিন মাসের জন্য নিষিদ্ধ করুন - Bangladesh Pratidin 5 May 2010.
- Female BCL student leader expelled from college for sex scandal - The Daily Independent 8 May 2010.
- Go strict against BCL crimes - The Daily Star 8 May 2010.
- When the BCL will be restrained? - The New Nation 8 May 2010.
- Dhaka moves against errant ruling party cadres - MyNews.in May 8 Issue
- Healing campus environment - The Financial Express 7 May 2010.
- The audacity of the BCL - Comment of SA Mia, Canada, New Age 8 May 2010.
- BM College suspends female BCL leader - New Age 8 May 2010.
- Call for boycotting stalkers socially, politically - Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha report - New Age 8 May 2010.
- তবুও কি ওরা থামেব না? - Daily Kaler Kantha 10 May 2010
- Chattraleague: Not burrial but Medicare needed - Daily Amader Shomoy 14 May 2010
- Activists urged for Syndicate free Chattra league - Daily Amader Shomoy 14 May 2010
- বেপরোয়া ছাত্রলীগ - প্রথম আলো - 5 May 2010.
- ঢাকা পলিটেকনিক ইনস্টিটিউট টেন্ডারবাজি, ছিনতাইসহ নানা অপকর্মে ‘ছাত্রলীগ’ নামধারীরা - প্রথম আলো - 26 May 2010.
- Ghost of Frankenstein returns - The New Nation 6 May 2010.
- BCL looks like fully out of control: Obaidul Kader: Cleansing drive in couple of months - The New Nation 6 May 2010.
- BCL Gone Haywire Warnings not working - The Daily Star 25 June 2010.
- রক্তক্ষয়ী সংঘর্ষ-গুলি আহত ৩৫, বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় থেকে ১৭ ছাত্র বহিষ্কৃত, জাহাঙ্গীরনগর বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ে ছাত্রলীগ আবার বেপরোয়া - প্রথম আলো - 6 Jul 2010.
- BCL infighting at JU leaves 33 hurt, VC assaulted, BCL suspends JU unit, expels 13, university suspends 17 students - The Daily Star 6 Jul 2010.
- BCL Off The Leash, Still- The Daily Star 6 Jul 2010.
- জাহাঙ্গীরনগরে ভয়ংকর ছাত্রলীগ - Daily Kaler Kantha 6 Jul 2010.
- BCL men rough up principal - - The Daily Star 23 June 2010.
- Question Leak Scam, New bank account traced, AL, BCL leaders involved: police - The New Age 23 July 2010.
- How Rapists Go Free - Star Weekend Magazine- Volume 8 Issue 89 | October 9, 2009 - Special Feature
- 10 BCL men rape girl - The Daily Star 30 September 2009.
- Rape is inevitable if not punished
- রাজশাহী বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়: আতঙ্কের নাম ছাত্রলীগ - Kaler Kantha - 25 August 2010.
- Political label keeps justice at bay - The Daily Star 27 August 2010.
- PM again warns BCL wrongdoers - The Daily Star 31 August 2010.
- PM warns BCL against campus violence - The Daily New Age 31 August 2010.
- ছাত্রলীগ ভয়ংকর - Kaler Kantha - 31 August 2010
- Video links about BCL terror activities
- ছাত্রলীগের দু’গ্রুপে সংঘর্ষ : জাবির ৭টি হলে গভীর রাতে পুলিশি তল্লাশি -Daily Amar Desh 29 January 2011
- সমর্থকদের কোপালেন ছাত্রলীগের নেতা-কর্মীরা - প্রথম আলো - 27 April 2011.
- BCL men clash at DU - The Daily Star 27 April 2011.
- Editorial - Feuding in BCL, again - Demands high level intervention The Daily Star 28 April 2011.
- জগন্নাথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় - পুলিশের পর এবার ছাত্রলীগের পদদলন! - প্রথম আলো - 27 September 2011.
- News for BCL activists expelled